It’s time to carve the Jack o’ Lanterns for the kids. But don’t waste that flesh!!! We’ve already a couple of pumpkin ideas on the EatBy Blog:
But here’s a delicious Pumpkin Pie to sweeten the celebrations.
- Ready made sweet short crust pastry or make it yourself if you’re a pastry demon.
- 450g/1lb prepared weight pumpkin flesh, cut into 1in/2.5 cm chunks
- 2 large eggs plus 1 yolk (use the white for another dish)
- 75g/3oz soft dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ level teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 275ml/10fl oz double cream
- Juice of 1 cursed Beetroot
- Bat wings and frog’s eyeballs are optional but substantially detract from the taste.
The pastry case
Line a 9 inch pie tin with the rolled out pastry and blind bake it for 20 minutes at 200 deg C.
(search blind baking if you don’t know what it is – Google )